Around the Area
The Great Outdoors
Kayaking, canoeing, boating, sailing, hiking, biking, parks and even a bird sanctuary the area has so much to do. There are several trails along the Lakeshore with varying difficulty, the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail , a family friendly bike trail that spans 27 miles of pavement from Empire past the Sleeping Bear Dunes and Dune Climb through Glen Arbor and all the way north to Port Oneida. Be sure to drive the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive.
Drive the M-22 loop around the Leelanau Peninsula, passing through the numerous quaint towns, sandy beaches, a scenic drive, agriculture land with our vineyards, orchards and farms. You can take the Manitou Island Transit Ferry from Leland AKA Fishtown and spend the day on South Manitou Island!
Year after year more and more great restaurants are popping up in the area. Here are a few suggestions:
- Broomstack Kitchen & Taphouse Maple City, Family friendly restaurant serving grass-fed burgers, sicilian pizza, 20 beers on tap and full bar
- Leelanau Coffee Roasters Glen Arbor
- Riverfront Deli Glen Arbor
- Leelanau Cheese Company Suttons Bay
- Wine tasting – All over the Leelanau Penninsula and Grand Traverse County
- Trattoria Funistrada Burdickville, Reservations in advance needed 10 minutes away
- LaBecasse Burdickville, Reservations in advance needed 10 minutes away
- blu Glen Arbor, Reservations in advance needed
- Martha’s Leelanau Table Suttons Bay Reservations in advance needed
- Little Traverse Inn 9 miles north on M22
- Big Cat Brewery Cedar
- Figs Lake Leelanau
- The Tribune Northport
- The Manitou Restaurant south of Empire
- The Bluebird Bar & Restaurant Leland
- Martha’s Leelanau Table Suttons Bay.
- Trattoria Stella Traverse City Reservations in advance needed
- Amical Traverse City Reservations in advance needed
- The Cook’s House Reservations in advance needed
We are happy to make a reservation for you at any of the above when you are booking your reservation or anytime before your arrival. We suggest making reservations early for those noted as such.
There are many Art Galleries Museums in and about the area.
- Synchronicity Gallery Glen Arbor
- Dickinson Photo Gallery Glen Arbor
- Lake Street Studios Glen Arbor
- Glen Arbor Art Association Classes for kids and adults
- Ruth Conklin GalleryGlen Arbor
- Gwen Frostic Gallery Benzonia
- Michigan Artists’ Gallery Suttons Bay
- Great Lakes Children’s Museum – Traverse City
- Interlochen Center for the Arts Interlochen
- Traverse City Film Festival Traverse City late July
- Michigan Legacy Art Park Thompsonville